Friday 15 February 2013

YCN UK Greetings Card development

After developing a concept for the greetings card brief based on LOVE. Ive started to develop my ideas and started to make some mock ups. I have been having trouble with deciding which way to take the design concept. At first I was thinking of doing dye cut cards that come in Origami Heart envelopes, the cards would be based on things people love about their partners. The idea was to keep it fun and light hearted and make the cards personal to people. I created a survey and asked people to write one thing they love about their partner to give me some ideas as a starting point.

The whole concept came from the fact that my boyfriend always tells me he loves my shoulders and I thought this was cute and weird. I think itll be interesting to make cards that say specific things you love about someone. Its different to whats already out there which I think is really important when im designing these cards.

Some of the things that people wrote:


  • Smile
  • Eyes
  • Bum
  • Personality
  • How they sleep
  • Fashion
  • Laugh
  • Everything
  • Determination
  • Clumsiness
  • Cups of tea they make
  • Freckles
  • Stubble
  • Spending time with them
I had 33 responses which isnt a lot but there seemed to be a few of the same that kept popping up like eyes, smile and personality. Im not sure now if this is going to give me enough scope to create a substantial amount of work. I dont know what it is recently but I keep hitting a brick wall!

I really like the idea of the Origami but the more I try and test with this concept, the more I think it doesnt work. ARGHHHHH!

Heres what Ive got so far on this concept:




The above card mock ups would be laser cut out and would then go inside the Origami Love Hearts. Theyre going to have to be a square format because of the Origami envelope which makes it difficult to lay the text out in a good way. They would also have to be fairly small because of the Origami. I can manage an A3 square using 80gsm paper but no thicker or the heart doesnt fold neat enough and wont stay closed. I think this concept is a little flawed and its rather annoying!






The Origami Heart looks really cool and I havent seen anything like this being used as an envelope in the current market, its just the sizing and shape of it which is making things difficult. I am really stuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment