Thursday 10 January 2013

Final Major Project Briefing

Today we had our FMP Briefing! Scary stuff. I made a few notes throughout the briefing to help me remember some important pieces of information.


  • The most important is that the module is a 50 Credit module which means it makes up 50% of Third Year. (This kind of made me feel a bit better because I let myself down in the previous module, this is my last chance.)
  • My statement of intent needs to be in by February 1st.
  • I need to think about the duration of my briefs, when am I going to start them and when will my deadlines be.
  • There is 11 weeks till Easter which is a big date for my diary in terms of getting things done.
  • I need to re think some of my briefs, we've been told that we need at least 5 substantial briefs that are challenging and show a conceptual and practical understanding of Graphic Design. Some need tweaking and adding to.
  • I need to make sure I pick briefs that show who I am as a designer.
  • I need to buy a new folder for my project journal to keep all my paper work.
  • I need to start developing work now rather than waiting for the submission of my Statement Of Intent. This will just include developmental work to see if things work.
  • I need to start researching for Design Context, this can include looking back on my Design Context blog from the past two years.
  • Anything not referenced will be counted as plagiarism.
  • The deadline for this module is Wednesday 29th May at 1pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Past years have done between 5-10 briefs for FMP.
  • The Year Book proposal can be counted as a brief as long as I develop it enough to make it fairly substantial.
  • In terms of Design Context I need to start looking at things that are relevant to my practice and who I am as a designer.
  • The Design Context brief needs to be made into some sort of product, which could be anything from a book to a website.
  • I need to start contacting studios again as i've not done it in a while. It needs to be ongoing.
  • Things to consider for the Design Context include studio visits, interviews with designers and images.
  • In terms of Design Practice I need to consider Product, Range and Distribution when it comes to writing my briefs.
  • Fred mentioned the fact that we cant submit anything again from the last module. I am going to be extending a brief from OUGD301 so I need to think about how I can extend with new designs and make it a substantial brief (Natures Little Critters). The brief is a YCN competition brief so it would be nice to submit it.
  • The module is 50 credits which means at least 500 hours of working time.
  • The preparation and proposal form must be taken to tutorials with me.
  • On the proposal form I need to state who I am as a designer and my interests in a sentence.



No comments:

Post a Comment