Thursday 10 January 2013

Lego/ Initial ideas

With the YCN Lego deadline coming up in March I figured it would be best to start to think of ideas now rather than wait till the module officially starts as there is os much to do.

The brief is fairly open which is a good and a bad thing, it means I can do what I want which means I have to choose something and make it amazing (thats the hard bit). With such an open brief I need to think what it is I want to do as well as what is the brief asking me to do.

Lego is such a huge brand and they have been around for years, they are very popular and the promotional work they already produce is set to a very high standard. My challenge is to think of something that hasnt been done that will be exciting, inspiring and fun. Lego is so popular with children, there must be some in every house hold, but adults also like to play with Lego, so its things like this that will help to narrow down any ideas I may have.

I bought my boyfriend a Lego VW Camper Van for Christmas which he was over the moon about, he loves Lego and has tons of it from when he was a kid.

Below is the creative challenge taken from the Lego brief on the YCN website:



To create a campaign for the LEGO Brand that distinguishes LEGO from all the other construction toys in the toy market by highlighting the benefits and points of difference of LEGO rather than the detriments of our competitors.
The campaign should encompass the LEGO brand values and take advantage of LEGO’s heritage and strong brand equity within the UK.
Mission: Inspire and develop the builders of tomorrow.
Vision: Inventing the future of play.
Play Promise: Joy of building, pride of creation.
Brand Values:
  • Imagination
  • Creativity
  • Fun
  • Learning
  • Caring
  • Quality

They say how they want a campaign that makes Lego stand out and they state their mission, vision, play promise and brand values.

ADD PICTURE OF INITIAL IDEAS SHEET

One of the biggest things that came out of idea generating was that with Lego you can build anything, there is no limit. People usually say that 'the sky is the limit', but with Lego thats not the case. With Lego, children can build their imaginations, if they imagine up some weird creature or amazing new land then they are breaking the boundaries of play and their imagination. That is the beauty of children and Lego combined. Competitors limit themselves with what you can build which then limits a childs imagination, a brand value of Lego's is imagination, which I think is the most important.

I went to meet my boyfriends family and his cousin who is six has a lot of Lego, he was building a house and it looked amazing. He then started to build these monsters which are Lego and asked us to join in. It saddened me that I couldnt build one due to lack of imagination. The boys were away with it building crazy creatures. It just goes to show how important exercising your imagination can be, and maybe this is something I need to focus on.




No comments:

Post a Comment