Tuesday 8 January 2013

Year Book mail out development photos

After thinking of the idea of making a mail out and using the concept of the year book proposal, I came up with the idea of making windmills that could be opened to reveal the invitation to the end of year show. The idea of them was to be fun and colourful and show off the personality of the course. The inside of the year book and the mail out both have black and white to also show the professional side of the course, hence the title 'work hard play hard'.


I started off by choosing an Origami net which turned out to be a windmill. This linked with the theme of fun which fits with our concept for the year book.


It took me a while to figure out the net but after a few goes I got the hang of it and now im a pro.


I made a coloured example to see what part of the inside would be on show so I could play with the design and layout to fit with this. The black square in the middle is part of the inside which is where the type will be and relevant information. To start with I have just using stripes of colour for the outside. The colours will link with the pages in the book that are the favourite colours of the class. When showing this to the rest of the group the first thing they said was that the colours remind them of Gay Pride. Not what we were going for.


This is where the windmill can be opened. Two of the tabs can be pulled and it opens out easily, it also fits back to its shape easily too.



This is it opened out, I think it works really well. The inside is simple and again fits with the concept of the year book. Its good to see ideas printed out rather than just seeing them on screen and I also love the fact I get to do some Origami.


I had to make a smaller version to try and align the type inside so that it couldnt be seen on the black square on the outside of the folds. It took a few goes to perfect.


This is the small one opened out, I think they look really cool and its more interesting than getting a post card or a bit of paper through the post.


I then made an orange and a blue one to fit with mine and Kirsty A's bios for the example for the year book proposal. These work so much better than the 'Gay Pride' one, the colours work really well with the black, which at first I wasnt sure about.


As you can see it still isnt perfect as there is a tiny bit of the writing from the inside showing.


This is it starting to open.




This is the blue and the orange together to show how the windmills look when they are open and closed.





These are all of them together, as you can see the coloured ones work a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment