Monday 18 March 2013

Swatch Limited Edition Packaging/ Initial ideas


This is a Swatch watch that I got for Christmas and I am basing all of my sizing on this watch. The packaging you see is what it came in. Its pretty basic really, hard plastic with Swatch embossed onto it and then inside there is some laminated card that says Swatch in it again.


Here are a few of my first ideas for the Swatch packaging. I had settled that my concept was going to be doodling as I felt it would be fun to experiment with and still left the concept quite open. The first thing I did was draw out some doodles. For some reason the doodles came out as patterns so I decided to go with it as this was my interpretation of a doodle. It took forever to draw 3 of them, which is the number of Limited Editions I am going to design.


Originally I was going to have the doodles black and white but instead picked 3 pastel colours instead, Orange, Blue and Green. Each colour what have a different shaped doodle to it. My initial design idea was to have a long and thin sliding slip case that the watch would sit in, there would then be a dye cut circle where the watch face would be seen. I then planned on using the word doodle vertical up the box so the watch face would replace one of the letter o's. The blue design has a circle doodle. This box was a little too small for the watch because at this point I hadnt measured it.


I firstly made the box bigger so the watch fitted perfectly inside, this green design uses the square doodle. I have picked a typeface for the logo but not too sure if it works because the o's and d's look very similar. The   Swatch logo was also very hard to get hold of so I need to maybe trace it as at the moment this is the biggest I can make it without it going pix elated. At the moment it just looks weird being smaller than the doodle logo, just looks a bit unbalanced.



I have tried making the inside of the pull out box a bit more interesting by using a solid colour as a raised bed for the watch so that it feels more enclosed and doesnt move around too much. This also means that when the watch isnt inside the box that its not just white underneath.


Here is an example of using the letter o as a space for the watch face to be seen, I wont be using this typeface for the final but I liked it enough to try it out. I was thinking of white foiling the other letters just to make it look a bit sexy.


I think it works really well with the dye cut circle for the watch face.


Again I have used the solid colour inside so that it isnt just a blank white circle inside.


I tried using a different typeface where the letter o was more circular. It has worked a lot better because the dye cut circle doesnt look odd like the previous example. This picture isnt the best but the type is quite prominent. 



No comments:

Post a Comment