Tuesday 5 March 2013

UK Greetings Cards/ Designing a logo


Coming up with a logo for this brief was a bit tricky to start with as I didnt want anything that was cheesy or to long. One of the things that helped me was the little love hearts in the illustrations which had been used to represent love. I tried to use the heart and its name to develop a concept and logo that worked really well and could be used to build a brand identity for my range of products.

The above logo is way too simple and doesnt really link with the products. I have used Century Gothic (which is my favourite typeface) because I think its very simple and clean. I dont want to use a typeface thats too fussy.


With this one I tried using the heart as a replacement letter but it just doesnt work, it makes the type hard to read and doesnt rally make any sense.


On this one I have used the little heart to break up the two words but there is just something that isnt working on this design.


I tried adding some more words and used the love heart in the word love which seems to work better, but I dont know if Ive now made the logo to wordy??


I tried moving the heart around to see if that would make it any better and where I have placed it seems to be more relevant to the concept but it then feels like its making the logo uneven.


So I went back to the first logo and re jigged it by using Century Gothic Bold and Regular with the love heart between them. Its slowly getting better.


I then tried it reversed out in a circle to bring it all together, but I think Ive ended up just using the circle because I like circles!


I tried the above one without the heart and for some reason I read it as 'little he arts' which doesnt make any sense!


I then tried one of the other ideas in a circle hoping that would some how make it work... It doesnt.


Then I created this ^^

I used the paint brush tool to create the word love in a hand written approach so that it links with the illustrations and then used Century Gothic for the word heart. After thinking about the concept and the name 'little hearts' it made me think that people who were buying them had small hearts and didnt care! Not the approach I was going for considering I am trying to spread the love!

So I changed the name to 'Love hearts' which made much more sense.



This is the finalised logo design for my range of products. I think it works really well because it has an element of hand crafted and love but then the use of Century Gothic adds sophistication. Its good as well how the love heart sits within the letter 'v'. It just works how I want and need it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment