Tuesday 16 April 2013

SP&PT Year Book/ Finalising a cover design


Typeface: Century Gothic

This is the original design that everyone had chosen to take forward as the final design for the front cover of the SP&PT Year Book. I designed this one and explained in a previous post my thoughts behind the design. As a group we discussed the design and thought of things that needed to be tweaked. Things that came up were:

  • The typeface needed changing as people didnt think it worked as well as it could and that something else would be more suitable.
  • I forgot to put on 'Leeds College Of Art', so that needed adding at the bottom.
  • I hadnt put '2010-13', so that has been changed.
  • Some of the coloured squares interfered with the text so it couldnt be read very well, so I needed to flip the pattern around until it worked.



Typeface: Helvetica Neue

I tried using Helvetica Neue for the front cover but it still didnt look right to some of us, we are using Helvetica for the body copy. I had flipped the squares so that the yellow didnt make the text hard to read but it still does with this particular layout.


Typeface: Calibri

I really liked Calibri as it had a slight curve to it which I think softened it down to compliment the colours, but the group still werent sure.


Typeface: Futura

Claudia then suggested using Futura for the front cover, which I think looks really good and works well. Its well balanced and because of the bigger weight it meant some of the letters were still readable when they were placed over the yellow squares. I had flipped the pattern so it was the main title that sat on the yellow which made definite that the smaller type could be read.

There is still room for improvement on the design as we dont really like the pointedness of the letter N, so we are going to try and edit it slightly if we can, or again choose another more suitable typeface.




No comments:

Post a Comment